Starting a new business is rather like being pregnant and having a child: There’s no set 9-to-5 work schedule; you’re on call 24/7 whenever THIS baby needs you. But is it worth it? Absolutely…as long as you go in with your eyes wide open. Here are my tips for making an entrepreneurial endeavor work to your advantage….
- Be ready to provide all the energy, support, hard work, and commitment needed to make your new enterprise thrive. You’re leading the team now.
- Make sure the people in your life—family, close friends—know that your availability might diminish as you enter your new business world. You may not be free for every school play, party, late-night movie fest, or weekend getaway for a while. Naturally, this situation will change as the business stabilizes and grows stronger, but for the first three years, expect to give your complete devotion to building a strong foundation.
- No other way to say this: Do not expect to hit the monetary jackpot for a long time. It costs money to make money. You might be investing in social-media advertising, publicity, and details that enhance your customer-service image to the public—fresh flowers, say, or point-of-purchase displays.
- Focus, focus, focus. When everything rests on your shoulders, it’s important that you pay attention to your own needs so you can forge ahead with energy day after day. Be sure to get sufficient rest, proper nutrition, pay attention to your health, and care for your own image. Walks in the park to reignite your energy, exercise, the occasional massage, and maintaining a professional look from head-to-toe are not indulgences…they are necessities.
- Surround yourself with the finest talent you can find; and reward their dedication. Every technician, stylist, colorist, and manager you hire must support your ability to manage the business—and make your goals their goals.
Have you recently opened a salon? Got any questions you’d like to ask? I’m always here to help! (Veterans of the business, we’d love to hear from you, too. Tell us the secrets to your success!)