- Beth's Blog
- Class Schedule
- Color Studio
- Ask Beth
- Haircolor Makeover!
- Get Listed
- Where to Buy
Precisely Formulated Care for color-treated hair
Between the Royals, Downton Abbey, home of the legendary (and very much missed) Vidal Sassoon, and the 2012 Summer Olympics, there are plenty of reasons to love London. I absolutely adore the place and wanted to share a few of my London favs with you, in case you decide to fly across the pond for a visit….
• Claridge’s is a must-see. It’s a glorious five-star, Art Deco hotel that’s been around for over 100 years, and for good reason. Even if you can’t stay there, check out the Afternoon Tea, Gordon Ramsay’s Restaurant, and their Diane Von Furstenberg-appointed suites. To Die For.
• Go to a pub and order fish-and-chips. It’s embarrassing and they’ll know you’re American…but that crispy, scrumptious, heart-attack-in-a-basket is so worth it. (Sprinkle on a little malt vinegar—the best.)
• If you’re over the fish, order some Indian takeaway. (No, not takeout…takeaway.) London has some of the most delicious to-go curries in the world.
• Have a drink at the Oxo Tower Bar, and soak in stunning views of the Thames River. It’s like being on a classic cruise liner…especially if you have one too many cocktails.
• Check out the Tower of London; you’ll eat it up…even more so if, like me, you are major into the Tudors and anything remotely related to Henry VIII and his wives.
Speaking of wives…may I just say, Thank God for Kate Middleton? Forget Fergie-- and, of course, Diana was wonderful in her time--but this young woman sets a new standard for beauty that’s being emulated by girls everywhere. I wish more people would copy her: She has a tremendous sense of style—nothing overdone, nothing underdone; flawless makeup; she carries herself with perfect posture; and her hair is always in royal condition.
I think it must take amazing strength to be yourself when you are thrust into the limelight and scrutinized on an aesthetic level by paparazzi at every turn. But Kate is who she is to the max. (Can you imagine if someone had told her she had to look trendier, or cut her hair, or go blonder? That probably happened…but it would have been a colossal mistake—I just love that she stuck to her guns.)
I would also venture to say that from the time that sapphire engagement ring hit her finger until now, she’s just made a few subtle, smart changes to her hair: highlights that take her natural brown to a richer brown-on-brown shade; plus, she cut in a few soft layers that enable her hair to move and yet still look controlled. She’s so beautiful, and William’s so handsome.
Mother in law would be very, very happy.